Saturday 8 October 2011

Hello there, nice to meet you!

Hello!

Welcome to my blog and my very first post! I am a complete stranger to the world of blogging, so bear with me, give it a few posts and I'll be getting to grips with the etiquette and practises of this side of the internet.

At this point, I think it appropriate to introduce myself, don't you?

My name is David, I'm 21 and hopefully by now you'll have noticed that I am an economics student in Leeds. What you won't know is that after a soul-destroying Summer internship at a (I'll have to be careful here) "Big Four" professional services firm, I have decided to take the plunge and commit to spending at least the next 5 years in education, as I attempt to work for a Ph.D and become an academic.

Now I realise you may be thinking that I am simply lacking sanity in choosing to put myself through such an ordeal when life could be a whole lot easier but for me, studying economics is not a task that I feel obliged to do in order to secure some menial, generic graduate job but more a hobby which I can do and will (eventually being the key word here) get paid for.

In the words of Sir Winston Churchill:

 "Choose a job you love, and you will never work another day in your life."

While words like this may seem to be common place and branded about by people as common clichés, they do hold significant meaning because to do something in life merely as a means to an end to survive, in my opinion, is a life not worth living.

Anyway, I shall digress from this life philosophy seminar (one quick note, I studied philosophy alongside economics when I first started university, so I apologise profusely for any philosophical rants in the present or future. I can assure you that they will not last very long) and talk a bit about why I have set this blog up.

My main motive for this is to voice suppressed opinions that I have deep down because let's face it, Twitter can only handle 140 character posts and I don't like Facebook, so I guess this is the natural solution. In my future posts, I be talking a bit about life as an economics student, my (painful) quest in trying to gain funding for my postgraduate study, a few odd bits and bobs thrown in about life in general and occasionally a little bit of economics but nothing too deep or pressing (and at the same time, not trying to come across as patronising or condescending).

I think I'll wrap up this first post now but on the right of this post is my Twitter feed, so if you want to ask or tell me anything please go right ahead, I'd love to hear from you! Also, I think just below that is a poll for a question that I've uploaded, feel free to vote on that. I'll try to change the question quite regularly but sorry in advance if I'm a bit slow with that.

So, it was very nice to meet you and all being well, I'll post again in the next few days with something a bit more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment